Ibs D Treatment: Licorice Root Side Effects
Licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a vegetable, and its roots have a sweet flavor. The roots contain compounds, like anethole and glycyrrhizic acid, that are responsible for the sweet taste and other properties of this herb. Licorice was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians for therapeutic purposes. This herb was used for dealing with stomach disorders as well as respiratory problems. It was very widely used in Asia and Europe too. Today, licorice is used as flavoring representative and as an organic medicine. It is available as root extract, tablets, root tea, candies, etc. You may also come across tobacco products flavored with licorice. However, usage of licorice in high doses, that too for a long term, may result in serious side effects.
Sacramento mothers of Middle Eastern and similar Mediterranean area descent have for generations looked after colic by feeding their children a sort of probiotic called infantis (understood commercially in the U.S.A as bifantis). Now, researches have shown how the probiotic works. It's familiar to most Middle Eastern mamas to put a drop of Binfantis, which some mothers call 'infantis' on the guideline of their pinky and touched the idea of the infant's tongue with the probiotic if their child has colic. And it seems to work to calm the colic and quiet the infant. However what is in 'infantis' that actually silences colic in infants that would weep for hours with colic?
- Treatment Consulting the doctor is the first thing to do if these symptoms are observed.
- The doctor will ask the patient to undertake blood and urine tests.
- Treating dehydration is the first step to be followed as diarrhea causes dehydration.
- For that reason, the doctor will recommend the person to have electrolytic fluids and water.
- In case of severe diarrhea and dehydration, hospitalization, and IV fluids may be required.
- The further treatment totally depends on the underlying cause.
- Costochondritis Costochondritis is a condition where the cartilages connecting the ribs with the breast bone are infected and swollen.
- It is caused due to a viral infection, and it causes sharp gnawing pain under the left rib cage, more so while breathing deeply.
- The signs of costochondritis are often confused with that of a heart attack.
- Medical examination can help diagnose the situation.
Consumption of Greens
A green bowel movement is usually the reaction to a certain constituent in the diet. Sounds unusual, right? However, it's true! Consuming a great deal of leafy greens such as lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc., may conduce to green bowel movements. The high chlorophyll content in the vegetables triggers the greenish color. What goes in, comes out! So, how do you expect the bowel movement to not be green after ingesting all those packages of leaves?
Factors that are believed to play an important role in the development of this condition are, a problem in the brain-gut signal (which controls the performance of the intestinal tract), gastroenteritis, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, sensitivity of the colon to certain food, stress, psychological problems, and changes in the levels of neurotransmitters that transmit nerve signals in between the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) system. Even hormonal imbalance has been suspected to be related to IBS, as this condition is more common in women, and its symptoms frequently aggravate before or throughout menstruation.
Causes When talking about underlying causes, it has been observed that constipation, indigestion and diarrhea are the three most typically experienced conditions that cause stomach pain. Apart from these, the following are the other significant and possible causes to keep an eye out for.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a problem of GERD.
- People dealing with Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of experiencing esophageal cancer.
The condition is ironic because lactose deficiency makes food digestion of lactose tough. Lactose can be found in sugar, milk, and dairy products. People having this disorder will often experience diarrhea and bloating after eating dairy products or lactose consisting of foods.
- Treatment: Proper high-fiber diet along with use of laxatives is recommended for treating this syndrome.
- Stomach Ulcers
- Treatment: Proper diet together with medication prescribed by a doctor will help in the condition.
- Once the sacs in the intestinal tracts are formed, they will remain for a lifetime.
- Changes in lifestyle is important to get relief.
- Other Causes: Some infections caused by protozoan parasites giardiasis and amoebiasis can be responsible for this condition.
- Some other underlying health problems like gallbladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, and malnutrition are the other extreme diarrhea triggers.
- But alosetron can cause some serious complications, for which it was removed from the market soon after its approval.
- Currently, the FDA has allowed the use of this drug with certain restrictions.
- It can be prescribed by doctors enrolled in a special program.
- They can prescribe the drug for treating severe IBS in females.
- This drug is not approved for use by males.
- Lubiprostone on the other hand, is usually recommended for men and women having IBS with constipation.
- It is a chloride channel activator that can increase fluid secretion in the small intestine.
Severe Abdominal Pain and Cramps May Require Anticholinergic Drugs and Dicyclomine
Anticholinergics are antispasmodic medications, that help reduce the sensitivity of the colon to stress and particular specific foods. The common antispasmodic agents used for the treatment of IBS are:
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the intestinal tract.
- Genetics and inappropriate functioning of the immune system are thought to be the possible causes.
Spastic colon is the another name of irritable bowel syndrome, which is a gastrointestinal disorder. The term spastic colon means an increase in the spontaneous contractions of the muscles of the large intestine, or their spasms. However, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also cause a decline in the contractions of the large intestinal muscles. IBS is generally categorized as a functional gastrointestinal disorder, as it is associated with how the intestinal tract works, and not with any kind of damage to the intestinal tissues.
Benefits. Bentonite clay, when put in a liquid colloidal-gel state, works great for diarrhea, viral infections, food allergies, spastic colitis, food poisoning, abdominal cramps, depression, nausea, anorexia, etc. When taken internally, it promotes detoxification of the intestinal canal by getting rid of all the toxic substances and waste from your body. It is used to treat constipation, bloating and gas. It also promotes beneficial bacterial balance in the digestive system, and helps increase immune system by way of liver detoxification and colon cleanse. Numerous other commercial benefits of the clay add to its value.
Causes and Symptoms of IBS
Causes In spite of all the research carried out, the causes of IBS or spastic colon are not well-understood. Researchers are of the opinion that a variety of factors can trigger this condition. In IBS, the contractions of the digestive muscles can be much stronger, and they can last longer than usual, which in turn can cause food to move through the intestinal tract much faster. This can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. The opposite can also occur, and food can remain in the intestinal tract for a long time. As a result, the stool can become tough and difficult to pass.
Has Been Observed that Most of the Side Effects are Caused by High Doses
Licorice roots should not be taken by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis, kidney problems, heart diseases, low blood potassium levels, estrogen-sensitive disorders, etc. Pregnant and nursing women and little kids must also avoid use of this herb. It is better to avoid licorice, if you are taking diuretics or heart medication. In case, you want to use this herb for medical purposes, consult a qualified herbal practitioner and follow his instructions.
- Celiac Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder, affecting the small intestine.
- People experience severe side effects on consuming gluten-containing foods.
An Upset Stomach With Diarrhea and Vomiting are Signs of Food Poisoning or Viral Infection
If diarrhea occurs quite often, or continues for a very long time, then it could be related to parasitic infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or spastic colon. When it gives a constant heartburn, it is possibly caused by acid reflux disease.
Spite of the fact that you will find restraints for the IBS Diet plan Plan as folks who have problems with IBS have normally developed food tolerances, the application of this technique to manage a person's indication are usually favorable. Food items which are to be included in the IBS Diet Strategy are generally modest, yet are really found to improve the individual's gastrointestinal motions in addition to ease quite a few signs of the problem.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or also referred to as spastic colon, is a digestive order which actually affects millions of people and it frequently affects young female grownups. This may become awkward in times where you have to concentrate in very important matters such as in your workplace. If you were to provide a report in front of the whole business staff and IBS strikes you at that very moment, it would be terribly embarrassing to excuse yourself in the middle of your report, you yourself interrupting the whole thing.
The gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to cause, or be the sole cause of causing severe pain in the flank region. Peptic ulcers, gastrointestinal disorder, gastroenteritis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are some of the major culprits to affect the area. Primarily, it is when your digestive system suffers a persistent disorientation that pain in the back, resulting in discomfort in the region, may occur. Nausea, feeling lightheaded, regurgitation, and acid reflux are the accompanying symptoms.
- Pain in left side of the rib cage might also be an indicator of the existence of stomach ulcer.
- Depending on the severity of the condition, the pain may last longer or many subside in a couple of minutes.
Bentonite Clay Includes Only 17 Minerals
This low number is responsible for a higher capacity to absorb other molecules. Therefore the absorptive abilities come from the low number of minerals present in it. When the toxin molecules get included in the clay particles, your body can expel the toxin-filled clay in normal bowel movements. Betntonite clay mask help you get a clean and glowing skin as it helps in the purification of cells under skin. It is commonly used in homemade facials.
Dietary ModificationsPeople with spastic colon are often required to make some dietary changes to manage this condition. In general, it has been observed that the inclusion of more fiber-rich foods in the diet can help reduce the frequency of IBS attacks. Though the foods that trigger IBS can be different for different people, patients of IBS are usually recommended to limit the consumption of those foods that can stimulate the intestine. Some such foods are:
Breakthrough IBS Treatment - Clinically Proven
IBS Treatment: http://your-health.co/ibs-treatment.php IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) can disrupt your life. Symptoms of IBS include constipation, diarrhea, and ...
But there is more than one type of colitis, there is more than one type of colitis treatment and knowing the difference between them is important to help with diagnosis and treatment. Here we will look at the most common forms.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) includes a group of health conditions, which causes pain and discomfort in the intestinal tract.
- The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.
- It is estimated that one out of every five Americans experiences the symptoms of this syndrome.
- Though IBS disturbs the normal day-to-day activities, it hardly ever triggers long-term health complications.
- The medications that are specifically used for treating diarrhea are: Loperamide.
- Bile acid-binding agents.
Recently, People Have Started Using the Green Portion of the Leaves Too
The outer part of the aloe leaves are crushed, and made into aloe vera juice, or dried and used as a laxative. Aloe vera juice in itself has quite a number of health benefits, which includes relief from digestive problems, irregularity, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome. It is believed to be beneficial in regulating the blood pressure and sugar levels. Aloe vera juice is said to be a potent beverage that is useful for strengthening the immune system. Regrettably, while raving about the benefits of this amazing beverage, the adverse effects of this drink have stayed unnoticed.
Here is a short list of the probable causes of this condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable bowel syndrome is a common gastrointestinal tract issue that is marked by abnormal gut contraction. The characteristic symptoms are discomfort in the abdomen, passage of mucus-coated stools, flatulence, abdominal cramping, and irregular bowel movements with alternating constipation and diarrhea.
Lastly, you should bear in mind that the majority of the above mentioned causes can be effectively treated if timely treatment is undertaken. For that reason, you should not ignore any kind of pain and symptoms. Take care!
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is since the laxative causes the bowels movements to happen very rapidly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
Crohn's Disease: Crohn's Disease is a Common Cause of Colitis
Crohn's disease is a condition which affects the whole of the digestive tract and this means that it can cause more different symptoms and side effects. In some cases Crohn's disease can cause serious issues as the immune system is malfunctioning and the body is no longer able to absorb nutrients to the same degree. Crohn's illness treatment is also more complicated. Corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling, but can not be used for prolonged periods due to side effects. Similarly surgery is not a cure since course the whole of the of the digestive tract can not possible be removed.
- Gluten Allergy You may also be allergic to gluten which is a protein found in wheat.
- The gluten causes damage to your intestines, thereby resulting in constant diarrhea.
Milk of magnesia. Bisacodyl. Senokot. The long-term use of laxatives is however not recommended, as they can cause dependence, or loss of normal bowel function.
Donnatal Levsin Levbid Pro-Banthine (propantheline) Bentyl Antidepressant medications can also be prescribed, if the patient experiences depression in addition to stomach pain. These drugs can increase pain tolerance, and treat depression and anxiety experienced by the clients of spastic colon. Two other medications that are specifically used for IBS treatment are, alosetron and lubiprostone. Alosetron is a nerve receptor antagonist that can relax the colon, and slow down the movement of waste through it.
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for treating respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for eliminating the signs of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.