Ibs Recipes: Stool Softener Home Remedies
Constipation is a condition that is characterized by challenging evacuation of the bowel due to hardening of stool. It is a common health issue that causes a host of distressing symptoms such as infrequent defecation, bloating, abdominal pain, feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowel, etc. Considering that the fecal matter becomes very hard and dry, the lining of the rectum and anus may get damaged during bowel movement, thereby leading to discomfort, bleeding, or hemorrhoids.
- Helpful Remedies Anxious stomach ache can be managed with medication and certain lifestyle changes.
- Managing a Worried Stomach
Mineral oil is often considered as one of the most effective remedies for temporary treatment of constipation. After mineral oil goes into the body, it lubricates the stool and helps in smooth waste excretion without inflaming the rectum and anus.
- Constipation Constipation is a health condition where a person has a problem in having regular bowel movement.
- It can be chronic or acute, and can occur due to various reasons.
- Stomach pain are bloating are the common symptoms of constipation.
Aloe Vera Juice
An effectual home remedy for softening stool is consuming aloe vera juice. According to medical research, aloe vera juice contains anthraquinone glycosides, which are active components of most laxatives.
- Excessive Iron Too much iron in the diet can also lead to green defecation.
- This side effect related to the color of the stool is often observed in patients put on iron supplements.
- Pain During the first few days after the surgery, patients will face significant amounts of pain and abdominal pain.
- This is because the organs have been shifted internally throughout the surgery to get rid of the gallbladder.
- The CO2 gas is also responsible for the pain felt in the right shoulder and right side of the abdomen.
- However, this pain subsides within a week or so.
- If an open surgery was carried out, the wound will take few weeks to heal.
- Laughing, coughing, sneezing, etc. put pressure on the stitches and end up being uncomfortable.
- For laparoscopy, pain will be felt around the entry points, which ought to minimize in a couple of days.
- Painkillers are prescribed to decrease the pain, however, some pain relievers once again have associated adverse effects.
- Eating foodstuffs that are not cooked appropriately or prepared in unsanitary conditions can cause food poisoning.
- Having contaminated food makes a person fall sick and the illness may give rise to green bowel movement.
- Gas-producing Food There are certain foods, which are known for causing gas trouble, which in turn lead to a bloated stomach.
- Foods, such as vegetables, beans, cabbage, etc. feature in this category.
In this condition, the intestine is not in a position to work effectively and the reasons are plenty, varying from presence of ulcers to the swelling of the lining of the intestine. Although there are different kinds of intestinal conditions, the common symptoms associated with poor intestinal function are abdominal pain, frequent or irregular bowel movement, and poor appetite. Some of the common gastrointestinal disorders that can cause green defecation are given below: Food Poisoning.
It is a type of purgative herb that can provide relief from constipation. It is considered as the safest amongst all purgative herbs, because other herbs of this category cause forceful elimination of the wastes from the body, aggravating the lining of intestines. These herbs should not be used on a daily basis.
Prebiotics on the other hand are carbohydrates of the type 'fructo-oligosaccharides'. These are essentially brief chained sugar molecules, which contain fructose. Prebiotics are indigestible fibers which provide nourishment to probiotics. As these sugar molecules can not be broken down, they are directly carried to the bowels, where probiotics can feed on them. Asparagus, garlic, onions, berries, bananas, tomatoes, spinach, kale, chard, mustard greens, lentils, whole grains, oats, barley and wheat are some prebiotic sources.
Nervous stomach can be really distressing when a person has an important event coming up like an interview, a discussion, or a business meeting. To control nervousness and associated stomach ache in such instances, one can use the tips mentioned below so that the issue can be managed in a better way. Stress, anxiety and depression definitely contribute to a nervous stomach ache. In most cases, the stomach ache is temporary, however, when it takes up a persistent form, it is time to go to a doctor.
Importance of Colonic Transit Time. When you eat, food passes through various parts of the digestive system slowly. Stomach, pancreas, gallbladder, duodenum, small and large intestines, and rectum are all parts of the digestive system. Different acids, enzymes produced by these organs are mixed in the food. The food is broken into small pieces, and is converted into an easily digestible compound. The essential nutrients are absorbed by the body while the food travels through these parts.
An obstruction in the intestines due to factors like volvulus, hernia, Crohn's disease or also due to any adhesion or injury can lead to bowel obstruction. Apart from pain in the abdomen, muscle cramping and vomiting are the other signs.
Difference Between Probiotics and Prebiotics While probiotics have been in use for quite a long time, prebiotics are a recent addition in the market that work to the health and well-being of an individual. Incidentally, many people do not know the exact difference between the two and may assume one for the other.
When your bowels are as unpredictable as an active volcano, it can be difficult to get through daily life. There are a lot of issues that can lead to a condition like IBS, but often it is related to a lack of the good bacteria that is simply referred to as probiotic. * IBS sufferers often have poor digestive health and don't understand it, which can lead to a lot of undesirable symptoms. * While there are OTC products out there, treating the symptoms alone isn't effective. *.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is characterized by lower abdominal pain, diarrhea or irregularity, abdominal discomfort. Factors like stress and poor diet can aggravate the condition. This condition is commonly seen in teens, but is not limited to that age.
- How to Consume.
- Mix the seeds in 8 ounces of water.
- Have a glass of water after consuming the mixture.
- Taking rest, using heat or ice pads are some of the home remedies that can help in decreasing pain triggered due to minor reasons.
- If you are to take any medication or painkiller, make certain you seek advice from the doctor and only then take it.
Our human body is a host to plethora of microorganisms. Some of these organisms may trigger harm to your body, while others actually benefit you in many ways. Probiotic bacteria are a species of beneficial bacteria which reside in the human gut and assist in digestive function, amongst other functions. These bacteria are naturally present in the digestive tract and thrive thereby competing with 1000 other bacterial types. Sometimes, the population of these bacteria depletes owing to some reason. During such times, prebiotics can help in restoring probiotic germs.
- Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be caused due to numerous factors.
- In most of the cases, it is caused due to an injury or a disorder in any of the vital organs situated in the abdomen.
- However, there can also be other underlying causes.
Need a simple, non-invasive breath tests to find out whether you have fructose, lactose and sorbitol malabsorption and small intestine bacterial overgrowth? Take the test from Stream Diagnostics, Australia's leading provider of hydrogen/methane breath tests.
- Treatment As mentioned above, there can be several major causes of pelvic pain on right side.
- But, one should remember that all these causes can be successfully treated.
- Treatment of ectopic pregnancy depends on the location of the egg as well as the condition of the woman.
- Laparoscopy and surgery are two major treatment methods used to treat ectopic pregnancy.
- Treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis depends on its severity.
- However, antibiotics are the only effective ways of treating it.
What Causes IBS?
Accurate causes of IBS are yet to be discovered but certain aspects are already known. And those factors that have the possibility to bring you IBS are mostly the things you eat or drink. You might want to stir clear of soft drinks, chili foods, dairy manufactures, soda and anything that may upset your stomach. You do not have to stop eating or drinking these things. You just have to lessen your intake.
- Appendicitis Appendix is a 3.5 inch long tube extending from the large intestine.
- An inflamed appendix can also be responsible for causing a sharp abdominal pain.
- Pain or discomfort may arise due to a blockage in the appendix.
- In the initial stages, the pain is experienced around the belly button, but this may spread to the right lower abdomen.
- Pain could also be accompanied by other signs such as nausea, vomiting or fever.
- If left untreated, inflamed appendix may burst and the contents might spill over into the abdominal cavity.
- This may lead to inflammation in the lining of the abdominal cavity.
- Green Bile As we all know, the liver produces a green colored digestive juice known as the bile.
- The production of bile is necessary to guarantee proper digestion of food.
- It is a known fact that stool formation takes place in the large intestine.
- When the bile gets in the large intestine, it eventually turns yellowish brown then mixes with the stool.
- This is the reason why stool appears brown in color.
- However, if the bile and the stool formed move quickly out of the large intestine, it is unlikely that the bile will become yellow.
- So, with the bile color staying the same (green), the excrement also appears greenish-yellow throughout bowel movement.
- Symptoms of constipation can be relieved with laxatives, having a high-fiber diet, hydration, etc.
- Medication and making changes in lifestyle and diet plan can help in treating diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test: This is one test that is used when blood in feces is not visible to the naked eye.
- In such a case, unusual color may not be seen, due to presence of small amount of blood in stool.
- This test is the most reliable way to confirm blood in feces.
- In order to diagnose the underlying cause, different blood tests are performed.
- This is a low-cost, non invasive procedure that gives information about the specific quantity of blood in stool sample.
- An easy way to perform fecal occult blood test is given below:
How to Consume
Swallow 1 tbsp. whole seeds, followed by 2 cups of water. Or, mix 1 tablespoon. ground flaxseeds with 2 cups of water and drink. Drink plenty of water at regular intervals for better results. If you want to use flaxseed oil for relieving constipation, mix 1 tbsp. flaxseed oil with low-fat yogurt. You can add tsp. honey for a much better taste. Take this mixture 1 hour before bedtime for much better results.
Low FODMAP Recipes - Easy Chicken Fajitas - Recipes by Warren Nash
If you're suffering from IBS like symptoms, you could benefit from following a low FODMAP diet. Start your search for low FODMAP recipes here and try my easy ...
Intestinal Parasitic Infections: Another quite common cause is amoebiasis. This is an infectious disease that affects the large intestine, and is mostly contracted when somebody eats or drinks contaminated food or water, containing Entamoeba histolytica, an intestinal parasite. In this disease, the amoeba attach themselves to the large intestine, and cause serious symptoms like bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps, stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, and fever. In the initial stages there are mostly no symptoms, but if the person's resistance is low, or if the number of amoeba unexpectedly increase, then the symptoms become visible. This condition is contagious, as the stool that is passed contains the parasites, hence, it can contaminate the water that it comes in contact with, and spread. Another example of an intestinal parasite is giardiasis, where the causative agent for the condition is a parasite called Giardia lamblia.
Choledocholithiasis The presence of one or more gallstones in the common bile duct (the duct into which the cystic duct releases bile) is referred to as choledocholithiasis. Such a condition may obstruct bile and the stagnant bile may cause cholangitis (inflammation of the bile duct).
- As you can see, intestinal cramps could signal some serious underlying health issues that need to be dealt with.
- So look for medical help for a proper diagnosis and treatment, to prevent further complications.
The use of senna is not recommended for children below 12 years of age. People with chronic gastrointestinal problems like Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, or appendicitis should not use it. If you have a medical history of allergies, consult your doctor before taking it. Also, this herb could communicate with drugs such as birth control pills, digoxin, estrogens, warfarin, water pills, etc., or herbs such as horsetail, licorice, and other stimulant laxative herbs. So, do inform your healthcare provider or organic professional about preexisting medical conditions or other drugs that you are taking currently.
- People affected by this condition may experience right abdominal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, flatulence, etc.
- These symptoms could be triggered by consumption of a fatty meal.
Irritable bowel syndrome is common among adults, and is generally a health condition that affects the colon. While it won't usually cause serious or permanent damage, dealing with IBS can be painful, annoying, and just plain uncomfortable for most. When there is a lack of probiotic *, IBS flares, leading to symptoms like:
The term 'acalculous cholecystopathy' refers to gallbladder diseases which are not associated with gallstones. Biliary dyskinesia is a motility disorder which is characterized by abnormal gallbladder emptying. This occurs when the gallbladder is not able to contract properly. Gallbladder function could also get adversely affected if the sphincter of Oddi, which is the valve through which bile flows towards the small intestine, doesn't operate properly.
Medications In case the person is having green vegetables in moderate amounts and also is not struggling with intestinal problems then green poop may be because of intake of medicines like antibiotics.
- For treating discomfort in stomach caused due to diarrhea, following the BRAT diet plan for diarrhea is very vital.
- A person suffering from diarrhea should eat BRAT foods, i.e. bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- Besides that, for diarrhea and upset stomach, appropriately prepared vegetables having high fluid content should be undertaken.
Sigmoid Colon Cancer.
Many a time, pain may be a result of the already developing colon cancer. This happens when cancerous tumors form in the area, which do not penetrate in the colon's mucosal layer. However, as the cancer develops to its next stage, the tumors start to penetrate in the colon's mucosal wall and spread further to the lymph nodes around the sigmoid colon.
- Barley Barley is also touted as a good laxative.
- It contains 6 grams of fiber, out of which 1.5 grams are soluble fibers and the remaining 4.5 grams are insoluble.
- The insoluble fiber soften the stool, making it more large, thereby helping it move easily through the digestive tract.
Bloating and Gas
Diarrhea Constipation Stomach cramps or pain Mucus in stool Not everyone will experience all of the symptoms noted here, and you might only experience one or two of these symptoms. It's still important to talk to your doctor to determine what's going on with IBS symptoms and how you can get relief. * IBS symptoms aren't always dangerous and this condition hardly ever causes permanent damage, but the simple annoyance and discomfort of symptoms are enough to warrant looking for medical help or wanting to natural remedies for relief. *.
Eating too Fast and/or Overeating Due to a busy lifestyle, many a time, people do not have the time to eat in leisure. Eating too fast should be avoided as it can cause a bloated stomach. At times, we skip our meals, and when we do eat, we have the tendency to overeat. This burdens the digestive system causing a bloated feeling in the stomach.
- Stomach pain is caused due to minor conditions, it can be treated with pain killers or by taking rest.
- However, it is recommended not to take any medication without prescription.
Flaxseed Flaxseeds contain omega-3 fatty acids. It attracts water in the bowel and breaks down the difficult stools, making it easier to excrete them. It is extremely important to drink a sufficient amount of water for this remedy to work. It is always better to use seeds instead of flaxseed oil due to the fact that the seeds add necessary bulk to the stools, thereby facilitating passage of stools. Grinding the seeds before consumption will be more effective as powdered form consists of more fiber than the seeds.
- How to Consume.
- Take tsp. rhubarb root cast 3 times a day.
- You can also add 1 tbsp. of the herb to 2 cups of water and drink the extract followed by another glass of water.
- Appendicitis can be treated by surgical removal of the appendicitis.
- Treatment of injury, muscle strain, etc., includes use of pain relievers, physical therapy, and even surgery.
- Typically, foods that are low in fiber cause irregularity.
- Therefore, it is important to ensure that you avoid foods that are low in fiber.
- Cut down on the intake of the following food items:In addition to the aforementioned remedial measures, you should also follow self-care tips.
- Fix a particular time for bowel movement every day to minimize the risk of passing hardened stool.
- Follow the ideal way of life choices.
- Exercise regularly and refrain from the consumption of unhealthy food items.