What Causes Ibs Pain: Senna Side Effects
Is often assumed that herbs are not likely to cause any harm to our body. This is certainly a misconception. Herbs can cause adverse effects in the event of an overdose. Also, some herbs could cause adverse effects in people affected by certain medical conditions. Thus, it is vital to seek advice from a herbal practitioner before you start taking herbs. Senna is a herb that is commonly used by individuals affected by constipation.
Guyana, two girls aged 3 and 5 died in 2009, after consuming senna pod tea in combination with an antidiarrheal medication called Lomotil and bush tea. Their death appeared to be caused due to electrolyte imbalance and acute dehydration due to senna overdose in combination with the use of the antidiarrheal drug.
Try to prevent all processed foods as they contain resistant starch and this can trigger IBS
Treating Back Pain
One should keep in mind that severe and acute pain in back is a serious sign and should not be ignored. If it persists for more than a couple of hours, one should consult the doctor immediately. If the pain is caused due to sprain or sudden straining of any muscle, pain reliever medications or sprays can be used for temporary relief. In case of herniated disc, nerve damage, injury, etc., hospitalization and surgery may be required. Kidney stone treatment depends on the size of the stone. In case of smaller stones, medications are useful, whereas in other cases, a surgery is required. Bed rest and pain relievers are prescribed to relieve pain in the back during pregnancy. There are also certain back exercises that help in offering relief.
According to ayurveda not to sleep at noon and making late nights are strictly prohibited. The patient is asked not to watch TV for a prolonged time. They should take light exercise daily and all negative thoughts must be driven away from the mind. Light yogic exercises and relaxation strategies must be followed.
Exercise for IBS
Routine exercise will assist to ease the symptoms of IBS and will make you feel better as an outcome. You should aim to work out for about thirty minutes per day. This workout needs to be exhausting adequate to increase your heart rate and make you perspire.
Senna is a genus of large flowering plants that comprises more than 300 types. It is also called Cassia senna, India senna, Alexandrian senna, and Khartoum senna. It is a member of the bean family, and is native to China, India, and Pakistan. For centuries, the leaves and seeds of senna have been harvested for their healing properties by various cultures. Compounds called anthraquinones which are present in the leaves and pods of senna, are very potent laxatives. Since senna fruit is believed to be gentler than the leaves, the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) recommends the labeling of products made from the leaves, and has warned against the long-term usage of senna leaf. This herb is also available over the counter in the form of capsules, tablets, liquid extract, and dried root.
- What You Can Do Constipation is not good.
- Treat your system like a tankard; drain plenty of fluids.
- High-fiber foods are a great help, too, in order to avoid the dreaded bloating.
You suffer from diarrhea attempt to stop eating cereal for 6 weeks - see if this assists.
Bloating Excessive gas Rectal irritation Change in the color of urine Queasiness Medical help must be sought, if these side effects persist, and one experiences the list below negative effects:
Rapid heart rate Sweating Fainting Skin rash Constipation Senna is suggested to be used only for 7-10 consecutive days. Prolonged use may become dependence on senna for normal bowel movements. This condition is known as the 'lazy bowel syndrome', which means you would be unable to evacuate your bowels without stimulants. Senna use, if continued for longer period of time, may lead to dehydration, worsened constipation, pigmentation of the colon, and augmentation of the ends of fingers and toes.
Addition, prolonged use could cause osteomalacia, weakening and softening of the bones, and arthropathy, a type of progressive joint disease. It is also known to disturb the balance of electrolytes, by decreasing the levels of potassium. The long-lasting use of this herb could give rise to symptoms such as weight reduction, muscle wasting, fatigue, and weakness that could be associated to a condition called cachexia. Studies have revealed that the long-term usage of anthraquinone might put one at a risk of developing adenomas and cancer. An overdose might also cause bloody diarrhea and throwing up.
No underlying specific reason for IBS has been found out. But it has been assessed that the colon of the IBS patient is particularly sensitive to some foods or stress that cause inflammation in the location. Gut motility may be hampered and causes the problem and there may be relation of some type of germs too. Anxiety and stress always precipitate the issue according to ayurvedic physicians. Hence they suggest for total upgrading of the mental airplane. Ayurveda has potential to combat the problem by resolving diet and bringing change in the life style.
- Take your own time to chew your food.
- Don't swallow it.
- Whenever you gulp a morsel, think of the damage you are doing to your digestive system and to your appearance.
- Thinking of the latter works better for the bulk.
Food Causes IBS, Pain, Bloating, and Gas
Dr Kris Sargent explores the MOST sensitive test for determining food sensitivities. www.restoryou.com Stop the bloating, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, ...
Senna is an FDA-approved non-prescription drug. It can be taken by adults and children aged 12 and above for the treatment of constipation. Some brands offer 8.5 mg and 17.2 mg tablets. The typical daily dose for adults is 17.2 mg. It's suggested not to take more than 34.4 mg per day. In case of kids, a daily dose of around 8.5 mg has been observed to cause a bowel movement daily. A daily dose of 17 mg is suggested for dealing with constipation in elderly people. It must be kept in mind that senna is a stimulant laxative.
- Is considered to be safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding when taken by mouth for a short period.
- However, it is recommended to use it only after consulting with your healthcare provider.
- If women experience irregularity following pregnancy, they could take 28 mg in 2 divided doses.
- Safety concerns have been raised relating to the long-term use of this herb, or administration of high doses.
- Laxative dependence and hepatotoxicity (liver injury or damage) has been linked to the frequent or long-term use, or use of high doses.
You Should Eat Bananas
It reduces the effects of the stomach acids and eases off the diarrhea. It has a soothing result on the inflamed stomach lining at the same time, it supplies a lot of important nutrients to your body. Considering that it is easy to digest, banana can be safely given to small babies with stomach upset. There are some foodstuffs which need to be strictly avoided. They are: dairy products, nuts, citrus fruits, chocolates, caffeine and spicy foods.
- Person is stated to be suffering from irregular defecation if he or she has more than three loose stools in a day or less than four stools a week.
- So an individual suffering from constipation along with diarrhea is considered to be suffering from irregular defecation.
- Alternatively, if there is a change in the color or consistency of the stool, then an individual is suffering from irregular defecation.
- With age, the frequency of defecation normally minimizes and one defecation a day is the most common pattern.
If you feel that the cause for stomach swelling in your case is IBS, then you can bring about certain changes in your diet plan to get relief. First of all, increase the intake of fiber in your diet. Fiber is present in abundance in fruits and vegetables. Make sure that you have at least three servings of fruits and vegetables daily. This will prove to be of great assistance in treating IBS at home.
One can get upset stomach because of food allergy. Suppose, an individual is allergic towards wheat. Every time, he or she consumes food that contain wheat flour, the body assumes that a damaging compound has entered the digestive system. As a result, it releases antibodies and the stomach gets upset. Some people develop this stomach problem after taking certain medications. For instance, NSAIDs (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) used for pain relief, when taken for a long time, may cause indigestion.
Signs that You Have IBS
There are several signs or symptoms that may inform that you have acquired IBS or Irritable Defecation. A few of the most common symptoms are stomachache, abnormal bowel movements such as constipation, LBM or a combination of the two, stomach cramps and bloating. There are a lot of causes that may lead to these symptoms but the one that you might check first is your food intake for that day. Once you ate something that can cause your intestinal tract track to produce too much gas, then IBS may be expected.
The condition of upset stomach can be described in numerous ways. It could be repeated watery bowel movements along with constant pain in stomach, throwing up, flatulence, etc. Often, the patients complain about a sense of fullness in the stomach, with mild to severe nausea. Or, it could also be in the form of acid indigestion that gives rise to heartburn. Usually, the main cause behind occasional upset stomach is wrong or irregular eating habits. Nevertheless, when it occurs more frequently, its hidden cause could be something much more serious.
Why is the Stool Color Green?
In order to comprehend why the stool color in grownups, sometimes modifications to green, one needs to focus on how the digestive system functions. The liver is responsible for producing bile. Bile is a fluid that assists in fat absorption and fat-soluble vitamins. The bile once secreted, divulges into the small intestine or in the bladder. Bile plays a major role in deciding the color of the stool and the consistency too. The stool being thick, slim or watery, and the color being white, brown or green, depends upon the way the bile fluid functions and gets secreted.
A normal healthy stool, the bile color changes from green, advancing to yellow and finally brown. Thus, it could be concluded that the reason for green poop in adults may be due to the fact that the feces has not passed through the intestine at a normal pace, hence leaving the color unchanged. This is a malfunction of the bowel movement and is called reduced bowel transit. Another factor contributing to the causes of green stool is the existence of mucus in the intestinal tract. This may cause its color and the consistency to change.
- Eat routinely and do not rush your meal times.
- Do not be lured to avoid meals and do not leave long periods between meal times.
- Try to consume at least 2 litres of water every day.
- Minimize your intake of alcoholic and fizzy beverages.
Eating Recommendations Your IBS issues might reduce if you try and follow these suggestions when it pertains to your eating habits:
- Causes Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): A bacterial infection involving the urinary system can cause mucus in urine.
- The kidneys, bladder, urethra, and the ureters are the elements of a urinary system.
- Although any organ can get affected, usually the bacteria invades the bladder first and then slowly spread to the other parts of the urinary system.
- Pain while urinating is the most common symptom of UTI.
Additionally it is possible that IBS can be triggered by allergies or food intolerances, along with by malabsorbtion. Malabsorbtion indicates that certain food groups can pass through the body without being appropriately absorbed first which in turn suggests that there are wrong amounts travelling through as stool. If this happens it can cause signs like diarrhoea or constipation and it is very important to recognize the issue. One manner in which to do this is with a breath test where your breath will be tested prior to and after consuming in order to see the variations in the methane and other contents of your breath.
You want a happy body you need to respect it. Nourish your body by giving it lots of fresh fruit and raw salads. Make meals from natural ingredients, instead of junk and take-away food that does not have any nutrient value, only empty calories. Give up the bad habits like sweets, chocolates and crisps. Start eating food that will provide the body with plenty of goodness and soon your IBS symptoms will be reduced just by altering your diet.
- Do not drink more than 3 cups of tea or coffee per day.
- Do not consume more than 3 portions of fresh fruit per day.
Food Products to Avoid if you Have IBS The very best long-term treatment option for IBS is to follow a healthy diet and avoid foods that activate the symptoms of IBS. Considering that people respond differently to different diets, there are no specific foods prescribed for this syndrome. On the contrary, there are certain food products that exacerbate and/or worsen the symptoms. Mentioned below are a couple of food items that are not recommended for people suffering from IBS.
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD): This is an infection caused by the bacteria gonorrhea or chlamydia, where mucus discharge in urine from urethra (a tube like passage that provides a way for the urine to move out of the body) is spotted. As a result, the urine appears yellow and is not at all clear.
- Having an organ that is not functioning well is something that might disrupt the capabilities of your body to do its job properly.
- And on this case, your bowel movements may be abnormal.
- This may lead to stomachache or cramp that is similar to menstrual cramps.
- However, this condition is not that serious.
- There are solutions at home that you can do to help relieve the pain, although one sign that you have IBS is if the pain is eased by defecation.
- Urachal Cancer: Urachal cancer, also referred to as bladder cancer, involves unrestricted development of abnormal cells in the bladder.
- This malignant growth, noticed in the urinary bladder, is a rare form of cancer that can also trigger irregular urine output.
- Urine samples of people diagnosed with urachal cancer have been tested.
- The test spotted presence of mucus, and for this reason today doctors regard occasional mucus in urine as a symptom of urachal cancer.
- Mucus is a viscous colloid, yellow in color, which occurs in various organs of the body, consisting of the lungs and the large intestine.
- The mucous membrane is responsible for mucous production.
- The mucous protects the inner wall of the intestine and oils the passage of stool for easy elimination.
- Normally urine is a clear fluid, however the existence of mucus in urine can make it cloudy.
Constipation is referred to as either an acute or chronic condition in which bowel movements occur less often than regular. It may or may not include hard, dry stools that cause pain while losing consciousness. This causes the stomach to swell. Although constipation is not a serious medical condition, it may lead to severe complications, such as bowel obstruction, chronic constipation, hemorrhoids, hernia, laxative dependency, etc.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome The exact cause of IBS is not known, but it is believed that in case of people affected by this digestive condition, the nerves in the intestine might be too sensitive. Affected people experience symptoms such as abdominal cramping, bloating, change in bowel habits, etc. Some people might experience constipation, while others might get affected by diarrhea. At times, the affected person might sometimes experience diarrhea, and constipation at other times. The signs might appear right after meals. Other symptoms of IBS consist of the feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowel and the presence of whitish mucus in the stool.
- Probable Causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome The major cause of a swollen stomach is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- It is one of the most common food poisonings.
- It involves an irregular condition of gut contractions.
- The particular symptoms are abdominal pain, mucus in stools, bloating, and irregular bowel habits with alternating diarrhea and constipation.
- IBS is definitely uncomfortable and disturbing but it does not lead to any further medical issues.
Acupuncture is believed to help in soothing the colon's nerves by stimulating the acupressure points, while eliminating the symptoms brought about by IBS. Nevertheless, there is no scientific study that can prove this yet, only a lot of patients treated this way for many years who have had beneficial results.
Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Pseudomembranous Colitis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are digestive disorders. Also called ileitis or enteritis, crohn's disease causes inflammation of the ileum due to which there is pain and pain in the lower areas of the digestive tract. Crohn's disease can lead to the intestines becoming sensitive and sore due to diarrhea. Ulcerative colitis is caused due to the swelling of the intestinal lining. The intestinal lining is punctuated with ulcers, either scattered throughout or in the form of clusters.
The large intestine-- when impacted by the disorder-- may pose symptoms of diarrhea with stools being loose and slim in consistency also making the stool color green. Pseudomembranous colitis is the inflammation of the colon when a person is administered with antibiotics. It may also be caused due to the overgrowth of the bacterium called C. difficile. These digestive tract disorders may cause the stool to turn green in color with the consistency being very loose.
Fiber is not causing this condition, you should get rid of one food item at a time from your diet and check if that food item was responsible for the very same. By doing this, you will have the ability to zero in on the foods that cause for this condition to occur and deal with them.
Nervous Stomach Causes
Acid reflux disease (GERD) and stomach ulcers can cause discomfort and pain in the stomach. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is the most common reason for stomach pain and upset stomach. Increased or decreased secretion of digestive enzymes affects stomach functions. An allergic reaction or food intolerance can destroy stomach health. Intake of spicy/oily/fast food, eating too much at a time, eating foods rich in fat, not chewing the food properly, eating meals hastily are some of the common causes of nervous stomach.
Excessive smoking cigarettes, fasting, following fad diets, late night eating or eating heavy snacks at night ultimately may result in stomach problems. Lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, emotional stress, hormone changes, depression and other mental disorders also cause anxious stomach. You need to have noticed cramping, tightness, or fluttering feelings during stressful scenarios. When you are upset (scared or upset), your stomach is upset too. Morning sickness during pregnancy, adverse effects of drugs, usage of antibiotics, motion sickness, alcohol abuse are also responsible for nervous stomach.
Upset stomach in kids can be due to a breach in relationship between the peer or due to academic pressures that they have to deal with. Stomach disorders like gastritis, low blood sugar level, Crohn's disease, Helicobacter pylori (bacterial) infection, stomach flu, viral infections, loss of intestinal tract flora, malabsorption, vitamin deficiency and other medical conditions can cause queasy stomach.